Saturday, April 2, 2011

While We Wait


So we are trying to think of things to keep us busy while we wait for our daughter to come home. So far we have rearranged our home to free up a bedroom for her. We have painted it pink and I painted a mural of Africa with a heart positioned over Ethiopia above her bed. We are now trying to keep ourselves occupied filling and decorating her room. My aunt Krista and cousin Sara are throwing a shower this month to help us with this project. :)


I just found out that we are going to need a new baby bed; the one we have has been recalled. So I can keep busy looking at cribs.


You may laugh at me, but I have spent a good bit of time learning hair care. I have been reading and watching a lot of documentaries and videos.



Our guide Abel wrote a book on the history of Ethiopia. I have been reading that to occupy my mind and learn as much as I can at the same time.


I have been practicing making hot tea using Birtukan's recipe. I think it also works as a nice stress reliever. David thinks I drink it so much because it reminds me of being in Ethiopia.


I have researched different recipes for Injera (Ethiopian flatbread) and other Ethiopian recipes and I found a few. I can keep myself busy perfecting my Ethiopian cuisine. Yesterday, I went on a search for teff flour that is used in Injera. I found it much easier than I thoug
 ht I would. So today I started the Injera process.


Day 1 - Making the starter. For this recipe it takes 5-7 days depending on if you want left over starter to make injera again.


  • - 3/4 cup water, room temperature (70 degrees)

  • - 1/2 cup teff flour

  • - A pinch of active yeast (about 1/8 tsp)

Combine all ingredients for the starter in a bowl. Loosely cover with lid/cloth and ferment for two days somewhere that is about 70 degrees. Let alone for two days.

I took a picture although it doesn't make Injera look very appetizing. But I will keep you updated on the process and hopefully this recipe will work. If not, back to the search for another recipe. That could keep me busy for a while.


Of course I also keep myself busy with my two boys. We have birthdays coming up and Easter; counting down to those can help keep my mind busy. The weather is getting nicer, maybe some outdoor activities? I started back doing the Couch to 5K program again, maybe I could stay busy training for a 5K? I have been teaching myself to play piano. Maybe I could order a program online to help further that along? I do have Rosetta Stone Italian; maybe I could start that back up?

Lord knows I am not the most patient person in the world. The wait is killing me, especially since I have now seen her and held her. I will take any suggestions to help pass this time. Praying it goes by fast!

2 comments:

  1. Keep us up to date on your recipe search. If you find good ones, I'd like to try them. :o)

    Wish I had good advice on keeping busy...however, it sounds like you have that department well covered. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pic of her room is sooo cute! You did a great job with the Africa mural. I hope she is home with you soon! Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog today. I appreciate your prayers.

    ReplyDelete