Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ethiopia - Days 2 and 3


So maybe I won't let you wait too long to hear about the first couple of days.


Saturday night the rest of our group arrived. Sunday morning it was planned that we would all go to church, lunch, and then shopping. Kaleb woke up that morning with a slight fever. He wasn't really feeling sick other than he said he had a headache. We figured it was a reaction to the malaria pills so we stopped giving them to him. Turned out the risk in Addis Ababa was very low due to the elevation and lack of bugs. So I stayed at the guesthouse with Kaleb while David, Judah, and my Mom joined the rest of the group for the days events. I will never forget how excited Judah was when he came home and showed me his purchase of a traditional Ethiopian outfit. He loved the Ethiopian shopping!





The next day was Monday, March 7, the day we had waiting so long for. The day we would get to hold our baby girl in our arms. Kaleb was doing better but because we wanted to live by the 24 hours fever-free rule my Mom stayed back with him at the guesthouse while we loaded the van with the group. There were three other families with us and we were making stops at three different orphanages. Of course ours was the last stop adding to the suspense. On the way our guide explained to us some issues that our agency was having with the orphanage our little girl was in. Adding even more suspense. We picked up a couple of extra social workers to make the visit with us. When we finally walked in you could cut the tension with a knife. I didn't get to have the emotional run to your baby moment that I had imagined for so long. (By the end of the week it did get better.)


When I did get to hold my baby she smiled at me immediately. We got to spend at least two hours at the orphanage that day. I was able to feed her a bottle and have her fall asleep in my arms. I loved every minute. She is such a sweet baby. She loves to smile and laugh. I can't wait until she is home and I can show you pictures. I carry a whole album in my purse so if you see me out and about, hit me up. :)


After our orphanage visits our group gathered back together for lunch. Lunch was great; we all spent the time sharing our stories of meeting our children and all our feelings connected with the experience. We had a great travel group. After lunch we went to the BCS offices where we were briefed with what to expect our court experience to be like. We were also able to meet privately with our Ethiopian social workers. At our meeting, David and I were able to find out more information regarding our daughter's abandonment.


We returned to the guesthouse for a brief rest before we were treated to an evening out at a traditional Ethiopian restaurant. Kaleb and my Mom were able to join us that evening for the experience. The restaurant also showcased traditional music and dances from different tribes all across Ethiopia. I am hoping we get to go back for our return trip. The boys and I loved the food! I am going to have to learn to make Injera.

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful photo:) I can't wait until we can see her precious face. Thank you so much for sharing all about your experiences in Addis Ababa. I am praying for you and your family while you wait!!

    ReplyDelete